Top 3 Best Used Cars For Grads
By Lauren Fix, The Car Coach
Every graduate’s dream is to have his or her own car and the freedom to drive solo to school, off to college or to their first new job. Every parent’s concern about his or her child’s car is whether it will be safe, reliable, and (of course) have affordable insurance rates.
Here are the best used cars for high school and college graduates as they prepare for college or as they prepare for the real world. Parents: don’t feel guilty about not buying them a new car! Particularly in this economy, it’s totally unnecessary for young people just starting out to drive a brand new car. For parents of new college graduates, your tuition payments over the years have probably bought them the equivalent of a new car by now. Regardless of which used car you select, make sure it’s thoroughly inspected by a trained ASE mechanic before purchasing your grad a new ride.
2007 Honda Fit or 2007 Toyota Yaris
• great resale value
• great fuel economy: 28 mpg city and 35 mpg highway
• abundance of safety and technology features: standard equipment like six standard airbags and anti-lock brakes.
Price: $10,000 – 12,000
2006 Hyundai Elantra or 2006 Ford Focus
• Plenty of storage
• good solid car with room for 5 passengers.
• great fuel economy: 23 mpg city and 31 mpg highway.
Prices start at $9,000 – $10,000
2004 Toyota Corolla or 2005 Honda Civic
• comfortable to drive and economical to own
• low maintenance and reliable
• seat 4 comfortably
• car that should last at least another 8-10 years with the right maintenance
Prices start at $8500 – $9500.
The key to any choice for a great graduation car is to make sure that a professional ASE technician does a thorough inspection and that you can obtain records of maintenance.There are many other great choices such as Ford Taurus, Nissan Altima, or even some economical SUV’s. Just make sure that the car you choose meets your grad’s needs for school, life, weather conditions and, most importantly, great crash test ratings.Follow Us: