2018 Audi S4
2018 Audi S4 achieves a class-leading 0-60 mph time in its competitive segment
- Offering the quickness and competence expected from Audi S models, the all-new S4 achieves a class-leading 0-60 mph of 4.4 seconds
- Providing more horsepower and torque, the S4’s all-new 3.0-liter TFSI® V6 produces 354 hp and 369 lb-ft of torque
- Representing a balance of daily driving performance, dynamic design and benchmark technologies, the 2018 Audi S4 will go on sale Spring 2017
With enhanced performance and benchmark technologies, combined with a more dynamic design, the all-new 2018 Audi S4 offers customers versatility, with seating for up to four and the quickness and competence that is expected from Audi S models.
Powertrain and Performance
New for 2018, the S4 features a 3.0-liter TFSI® V6 that has been reengineered to provide more horsepower and torque and a quicker buildup of peak output. With the same 2,995 cc of displacement as the previous engine, power has increased by 21 horsepower, to 354 hp, and by 44 lb-ft of torque, up to 369 lb-ft.
In addition, the broad torque curve now reaches maximum force at a low 1,370-4,500 RPM range. A single turbocharger replaces the supercharger from the previous generation and helps manage exhaust gas flow to the turbine with a twin-scroll housing design.
New for 2018, the S4 comes standard-equipped with an eight-speed tiptronic® automatic transmission that is well-suited for the low-end torque of the new V6 engine, making it possible for the engine to consistently run near its ideal engine speed. Lower gears offer short, sporty ratios while longer upper gears help reduce engine revs.
Every Audi S4 is standard-equipped with quattro® all-wheel drive, offering high-precision and dynamic handling through active torque distribution to both axles. The available quattro® sport rear differential can offer an even more dynamic driving experience by actively splitting torque between the wheels of the rear axle, with the ability to direct nearly all torque to one wheel, helping to maximize driving dynamics.
Chassis and Suspension
For 2018, the S4‘s newly developed front and rear suspension allows for both a sporty driving experience and more comfortable ride for long distances. The redesigned front five-link suspension with lightweight construction offers greater steering precision and excellent handling through optimized steering-rack placement direct at wheel centers.
Chassis and suspension features include:
- Standard Audi drive select with four different modes – comfort, auto, dynamic and individual – allows the driver to change gear shift points, steering, throttle response, and available damper control and adaptive cruise control adjustments.
- Available sport adaptive damping suspension with a new suspension control unit (as part of the S sport package). This unit houses the software for suspension and damping control plus the sensors for measuring acceleration and yaw rates.
- Available dynamic steering, which offers a variable steering ratio that adjusts based on vehicle speed and the Audi drive select setting. At higher driving speeds, dynamic steering helps to improve straight-line stability, and at lower driving speeds, a more direct steering ratio is utilized to help increase steering response for easy maneuvering.
The all-new 2018 Audi S4 represents the latest refinements in Audi design, from the crisp, wrap-around lines emphasizing the vehicle’s length to the powerful wheel arches that accentuate the vehicle’s performance appeal.
In addition, the S4 is characteristically recognized by its sporty design differentiators including aluminum-optic exterior side mirror housings, Platinum Gray Singleframe grille with aluminum-optic double blade bars, S model specific quad exhaust outlets and a rear trunk lid lip spoiler.
Additional design features include:
- 18” 5-double-spoke-star design wheels with standard summer tires or optional all-season tires; available 19” 5-spoke-V design wheels with summer tires
- Standard full LED headlights with LED daytime running lights and LED taillights with dynamic turn signals
- Standard auto-dimming, power folding, heated exterior mirrors
- Available red brake calipers (S sport package)
- Standard 3-spoke multifunction flat-bottom steering wheel with shift paddles and S badging
- Standard heated, eight-way power front seats with four-way power lumbar support and driver memory
- Standard diamond stitched S sport seats with power side bolsters and massage function
- Standard three-zone automatic climate control with digital rear display
- Available dual pane acoustic glass for front side windows
- Available Bang & Olufsen® sound system with 3D sound
The all-new S4, while offering outstanding performance, also integrates benchmark technologies from the A4 including available full-color head-up display, MMI® touch® with handwriting-recognition technology and standard Audi smartphone interface, which provides Apple CarPlay™ and Google™ Android Auto integration for compatible mobile devices. Also available is the Audi virtual cockpit, which helps make viewing and navigating via the large Google Earth™ images supported with 4G LTE (where available) easier on the driver’s eyes. Unique to S4, the virtual cockpit features a “sport” display mode, which brings the tachometer and speedometer to the front and center of the display and adds a boost gauge and lap timer.
The S4 also offers a number of standard and available driver assistance features, including standard Audi pre sense basic and city and available Audi pre sense rear and Audi side assist, designed to help drivers navigate the road and traffic while making their driving experience more enjoyable. Also available is adaptive cruise control with stop & go and traffic jam assist.
Model year 2018 Audi S4 starting manufacturer suggested retail prices:
Watch our other His Turn-Her Turn™ reviews:
2018 Kia Rio
2018 Audi TT RS
2018 Honda Fit
2017 Jeep Wrangler 4×4
2018 Genesis G80 Sport
2018 Subaru WRX STI
Demons, Durangos & Hellcats
2018 Infiniti Q50
2017 Volvo V90
2017 Acura MDX Hybrid Sport
2017 Mazda MX-5 Miata RF
2017 Mini Countryman
2018 Alfa Romeo Stelvio
2018 Toyota Camry
2018 Volvo XC60
2017 Honda Civic Si
2018 Honda Odyssey
2018 Acura TLX
2018 Volkswagen Atlas
For more automotive industry news go to laurenfix.com
For breaking news:
Follow Lauren on Twitter @LaurenFix and on Facebook LaurenFixTheCarCoach
Sign up for the Free Monthly Car Coach Report Newsletter: eepurl.com/CBl_z
For His Turn-Her Turn™ expert car reviews: histurnherturn.com
Car Courtesy of Audi
Aired: September 27, 2017
Music: by AudionautiX.com
Disclosure: Free Royalty Music
©Automotive Aspects, Inc., 2017. All Rights Reserved.